No trouble cookies
Little nutty meringues, makes just about 2 dozen
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (approx 180 C)
2. Beat together until foamy,
– 2 egg whites
– 2/3 cup castor sugar
3. Add to foamy mixture,
– 1 cup chocolate chips
– 1 cup crushed toasted walnuts
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4. Spoon mixture by teaspoons onto a foil or parchment covered cookie sheet (might need two). Put cookies in oven and turn off. Leave in overnight.
1. My mom swears by these, but I found them a little tricky. My egg mixture took ages to firm up and I started to get meringue anxiety. It did work out in the end, though I wouldn’t use the word “foamy” to describe my end results – they were more, well, meringue-y. Also some of the cookies were still a little soft in the middle in the morning, so I turned the oven back on for about 5 minutes and then left them for another hour or two.
2. They turned out great though – sweet and light, though the pale colour is a little bit freaky, but the taste is lovely and nutty. And as they’re totally flour-free, I’m really looking forward to sharing the recipe with gluten-intolerant friends.